I would like to take a second and compliment the latest Star Trek movie: Star Trek into Darkness. The reprise of the new-timeline series brings back their solid cast to fight a classic enemy. The Enterprise refit is beautiful, the uniforms are stellar, and the effects intoxicating. The movie unforgivably kills my favorite character, but the pace of the movie quells my lament as I struggled to take in the fire hose of plot details, lens flair, and classic canon nods. I’ll need to see it a few more times.
Friday, May 17, 2013
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
It’s difficult to create a site that looks great across browsers. The weaker web developers simply give up – supporting only a piece of the market, squandering opportunity for themselves or their customers.
But, now the ante is raised with responsive web design. Leveraging CSS media queries, developers rearrange content to accommodate the width (et al) of different screen sizes. And it’s not simply a normal site with a mobile site, too. Users are coming at you with a myriad screen sizes.
Friday, May 10, 2013
Daren May and I teach the basics of Windows 8 XAML in a Jump Start course for Microsoft Virtual Academy (Recorded May 2013). If you are learning XAML, come learn with us in this free, all-day course (now available on demand). We have a lot of fun in these courses; but you get all the candy.
- Mod 01: Overview of the Windows 8 Platform and Windows Store Apps
- Mod 02: Creating User Interfaces using XAML
- Mod 03: Presenting Data and Implementing Layout using Windows 8 Built-In Controls
- Mod 04: Handling Files in Windows Store Apps and Process Lifecycle Management
- Mod 05: Working with Resources, Styles, and Templates
- Mod 06: Designing and Implementing Navigation in a Windows Store App
- Mod 07: Implementing Windows 8 Contracts, Tiles and User Notifications
- Mod 08: Local Data and Planning for Windows Store App Deployment
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- “Siri, search one-trick pony”
- “Aren’t you a little young to have an IPhone”
- “Auto-correct… this!”
- Boom! “Is there an app for that?”
- “Siri, search karate! No, Ka-ra-te!”
“Do you think if they knew about the Nokia Lumia they would stop fighting?”
“I don’t know. I think they kind of like fighting.”
Stop fighting. Switch.
Hehe! WP is the “peaceful” phone.
And smartphone of the freakin’ year! Boo-yah, baby!
Pretty great commercial.
Monday, March 25, 2013
Jerry Nixon, Ian Ferreira and Lucas Stankiewicz from the Ad Experiences team discuss ways in which developers can use advertising in their apps to help monetize their applications. Tune in as they show you how to get started with the Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows 8.
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Jerry Nixon and Tyler Gibson are back for part 2 of their UX design guidance series and in today’s episode, Tyler showcases the Netflix and Newegg apps for Windows 8 as good examples of apps that make it easier for users to find and process information.
Monday, March 18, 2013
Jerry Nixon welcomes Tyler Gibson for this 2 part series on UX design considerations you may want to consider for your Windows 8 apps that handle large amounts of data. In part 1, they discuss best practices and how users evaluate, interpret and act on information.