This post is a continuation of my previous post.
As a developer evangelist, I interact with a lot of developers. Many developers are just meeting Windows 8 for the very first time. Some developers have started to tinker. And, others are deep into their first application – on target for the store. The common thread between them are a set of recurring questions that I get over and over. I thought I would document a few of them.
Note: since Windows 8 has not been released some of these answers are subject to change. At time of writing (June 19, 2012) these answers are correct.
- Should all desktop apps be migrate to metro? No
- Will the Windows 8 store support trials? Yes
- Will the Windows 8 store support subscriptions? No
- Will enterprise apps deliver through the Windows 8 store? No
- Can enterprises disable the Windows 8 store? Yes
- Can enterprises disable side-loading of apps? Yes
- Can apps in the Windows 8 store access desktop apps & services? No
- Can side-loaded apps access desktop apps & services? Yes
- Can parents disable the Windows 8 store for kids? Yes
- Can parents limit the hours in the day their kids can log in? Yes
- Can parents limit the cumulative time in a day kids can use the PC? Yes
- Can parents filter available web sites? Yes
- Can parents disable games based on their rating? Yes
- Can Visual Studio 2010 be used to build Metro apps? No
- Can Visual Studio 2012 be used to build Windows 7 apps? Yes
- Can Visual Studio 2010 access Team Foundation Server 2012? Yes
- Can Visual Studio 2012 open 2010 projects without altering them? Yes
- Can Visual Studio 2010 open 2012 projects? No
- Does the .Net 4 async keyword work in WinRT? Yes
- Does Windows 8 WinRT code run on Windows Phone 7? No
- Does Windows Phone 7 code run on Windows 8? Yes, some
- Does Windows Phone 8 code run on Windows 8? Yes, more
- Does Windows 8 code run on Windows Phone 7? Yes, some
- Does Windows 8 code run on Windows Phone 8? Yes, more
- Can metro applications roam settings/files across desktops? Yes
- Can desktop applications roam settings, too? No
- Can metro applications roam settings/files to Windows Phone? No
- Can Windows Phone roam settings to Windows 8? No
- Does Windows 8 metro support XNA game development? No
- When will Windows 8 be released? October maybe?
Got questions? Comment.